Choosing the right plug valve for your needs is an important decision that may have a major impact on the efficiency and dependability of your industrial operations. Aira Euro Automation, one of India’s most trusted Plug Valve Manufacturer, has the solution.
A Plug valve is a straight-through valve that opens quickly. It can completely prevent friction with the flowing fluid when fully opened. It is also capable of working as a medium for floating particles. Another beneficial feature of the plug valve is that it can be designed for multi-port pipelines. the valve can be designed for two, three, or even four ports. It optimizes piping system design and reduces the number of valves and connecting accessories required in the piping system.
The following information will help you to choose the right plug valve for your needs, including all information from working principles to its function. This handbook will provide you with the knowledge you need to make smart choices that will ensure exceptional efficiency and long-term success, whether you’re exploring the complex field of fluid control in processing or other applications.
The working principle of Plug Valve
A Plug Valve creates a quarter-turn motion that aligns the pipe and the hole. It has a hollow passage in the valve body. When the plug rotates to a 90º and connects the stem for the opening and closing actions. When a full quarter-turn rotation is reached, the port is completely perpendicular to the flow stream and provides a complete shut-off. It is the earliest used valve, with a simple structure, rapid switching, and low fluid resistance. Discover more about our most popular Ball Valves, a type of quarter-turn rotational valve.
Types of Plug Valves
Generally, there are four types of Plug Valves including,
- Lubricated Plug Valves
- Non-Lubricated Plug Valves.
- Eccentric Plug Valves
- Expanding Plug Valves
Lubricated Plug Valves
The object of this valve is to ease the operation over a wide range of operating pressures, by using lubricants or sealants. The lubrication film which is used between the plug and body provides a seal that requires regular lubrication. These lubricants are mostly plastic sealants. It is using an effective sealant with properties such as proper elasticity, and resistance, to chemicals. Additionally, it protects against corrosion-causing chemicals on the metal surfaces between the plug and the body.
Non-Lubricated Plug Valves
These types of plug valves are typically used for lower-pressure lines. They contain an elastomeric body liner in the body cavity. The plug which is tapered and polished acts like a wedge and tends to press the sleeve against the valve body. Thus the sleeve reduces the friction between the plug and the body.
Eccentric Plug Valve
Eccentric Plug Valve design uses a half plug. This design helps in applications requiring a higher seating force providing minimal friction from the open to the closed position. Improved shut-off capabilities are the main feature of the torque seated valves. These valves are found in applications in a wide range of flow control and isolation services.
Expanding Plug Valves
Expanding Plug Valves are complex in design. They utilize components that allow the plug valve to expand mechanically and give it a true double block and bleed function in one valve. This type of plug valve uses a mechanism that rotates between the open and closed positions and protects both seals from the flow path.
Advantages of Plug Valves
- The Plug Valve has a simple design and is lightweight.
- It provides frequent operation with a quick and smooth opening and closing
- It offers minimal resistance to flow and is maintenance friendly
- There are no limitations for flow direction in this valve.
- It provides a tight sealing facility without vibration and noise
- The utilization of a multi-port design helps to reduce the number of valves required and permits a change in a flow direction.
- It provides a reliable leak-tight service.
- They are easy to clean and can be done without removing the body from the piping system.
- You can use plug valves with large flow rates as well.
- They offer durability with essential flow control of media in applications.
Applications of Plug Valves:
Plug Valves are suitable for a wide range of services like Air, Gas, Vapor, Slurry, Mineral ore, Sewage applications, Oil Piping systems, etc. these valves are used in various industrial applications because they regulate the flow rates, stop and start flow, and provide both bi-directional and throttling capabilities.
The majority of plug valves are widely used in applications where high pressure and high temperature are required. Suitable applications like Oil refineries, Gas field mining, Transportation and Refining equipment, as well as in the Petrochemical Industry, Chemical Industry, Coal Gas, Natural gas, liquid petroleum gas, HVAC Industry, and General Industry.
Installation of Plug Valves
To prevent damage to the plug valve and to ensure the valve’s reliable operation, the following factors should be considered during installation:
- When the Plug Valve is installed in a horizontal line, the preferred installation is with a plug rotating 90’ upward to open. Utilizing this orientation can lessen the effect of solids preventing plug operation.
- When it is installed in high-pressure systems, it is recommended to have the plug seat on the outlet side of the valve.
- When the valve is installed in a vertical line where solids exist, the seat is ideally positioned up, preventing solid build-up in the valve body.
- Make sure the valve is open. First, heat up the pipeline and transfer as much heat as possible from the pipe to the valve. Avoid extending the heating time of the plug valve itself.
Selection Guide for Plug Valve
To select an appropriate Plug Valve based on your structure properties and functions consider the following guidelines:
- Lubricated Plug Valves are ideal to be utilized with corrosive, high-temperature, high-pressure, and abrasive fluids.
- A simple on/off control can be implemented with a 2-port plug valve. A three-port plug valve can perform diversion and mixing operations.
- If regular lubrication is not suitable, a non-lubricated plug valve is recommended.
- Ensure the material of the valve is compatible with the media.
- The size of the valve must match the size of the pipe. The end connections should be compatible with the existing pipeline.
In conclusion, Plug Valves are important valves that are designed for being essential for the highly demanding working environment of various industries, because of their properties and use mentioned above. They provide reliable performance with low-pressure drops and require minimal manual force to operate. If you are looking for a cost-effective way to control fluids in your industrial applications, then Plug Valves are the way to go!